More and more families are traveling with children around the globe. Adventures by Disney offers luxury, family-friendly guided vacations to over 20 destinations world-wide. If you are eager to visit the Grand Canyon or the Great Wall of China, Adventures by Disney can take you, your children, and even your grandchildren there! Adventures by Disney vacations are hassle-free and specifically designed to engage adults and kids alike. There are so many things to love about Adventures by Disney. But how do you decide if your child is old enough for Adventures by Disney?
Minimum and Recommended Ages for Adventures by Disney
Each Adventures by Disney trip has a minimum age requirement. Children below that age will not be allowed to travel. Each trip also has a suggested age. These ages are based on feedback from both experienced Adventure Guides and families. In fact, Adventures by Disney just adjusted the minimum age on their River Cruise itineraries from 4 to 6 years. After the inaugural Danube River Cruise season, Adventures by Disney determined the itinerary was not appropriate for four and five year olds.
The minimum and recommended ages for each itinerary are listed below:
|Arizona & Utah||4||6+|
|Montana & Canada||4||8+|
|Disneyland Resort & Southern California Backstage Magic||4||5+|
|Walt Disney World Resort Backstage Magic||6||8+|
|Washington DC & Philadelphia||4||6+|
|Europe||Austria, Germany & Czech Republic||4||6+|
|England & France||4||6+|
|Italy & Amalfi Coast||4||6+|
|Italy & Switzerland||4||6+|
|Danube River Cruise||6||8+|
|Rhine River Cruise||6||8+|
|Central & South America||Costa Rica||4||8+|
|Ecuador: Amazon & Galapagos Islands||7||8+|
|Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands||7||8+|
|Africa, Asia & Pacific Adventures||Australia||4||7+|
|Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos||6||8+|
As you can see, children under the age of 4 are not able to travel with Adventures by Disney. Most trips have a recommended age of six years old and many are recommended for ages 8 and up.
Is My Child Old Enough for Adventures by Disney?
So, how should you decide if your child is the right age for Adventures by Disney? Here are some things to consider:
- Does your child take naps? Adventures by Disney are extremely busy trips! There is typically no rest or down time on most days. There may be some time to relax when traveling by bus between destinations. Otherwise, most days are very full, and the group does not return to the hotel.
- Is your child an early riser? Each day with Adventures by Disney typically starts early. The group usually will meet after breakfast in the hotel on your own. It is extremely important that all adventures are ready to go at the designated time. If your child has trouble waking up early or you anticipate tantrums getting out the door, I would suggest waiting another year or two.
- Is your child on a set bedtime schedule? Adventures by Disney days often end late into the evening. Group dinners and nighttime activities might be well past your child’s bedtime. If you anticipate challenges with long days, I would suggest waiting another year or two.
- Can your child separate from you for a few hours? One perk of family travel with Adventures by Disney are Junior Adventure activities. Adventure Guides will usually host one night for Junior Adventurers for dinner and fun while parents have some adult-only time. Children are not required to participate, but it is a nice opportunity for parents! Most kids love spending a few hours with their new friends. If your child is unlikely to join in, you might want to consider waiting a year or two.
- How will your child handle the flight and time change? Adventures by Disney has several fantastic itineraries close to home in the United States. Many families choose Adventures by Disney for the opportunity to travel abroad. Consider how your child will do with a lengthy plane ride followed by jet lag. Try to build in a day or two prior to the start of your Adventure for the entire family to adjust.
- Does your child have the stamina for touring? Even those kids that no longer nap may not have the energy for long, busy days with Adventures by Disney. Our first day in Costa Rica began with an early breakfast, a flight into the rainforest, a lengthy boat ride through the jungle, and a nighttime dinner party. The Adventure Guides are great about planning bathroom breaks, but there are certain times that no bathrooms are available. A day in Austria included a steep hike to an ice cave. Once we entered the frozen cave, we climbed 700 steps up, then 700 steps down! Can your child hold it in? Will they be able to enjoy a busy long day without a meltdown? If this is a concern, wait a year or two.
- Does your child meet the minimum age for specific activities on the tour? Some of the Adventures by Disney vacations have activities with minimum ages or height/ weight requirements. For example, children must be at least 3 foot, 11 inches tall to zip line in Costa Rica. Those not tall enough (or those choosing not to zipline) have an alternate activity such as a nature walk. Children must be at least eight years old to river raft in Costa Rica. Those not old enough or who choose not to participate can take a float on calmer waters. Will you or your child be disappointed if they are unable to participate in certain activities because of their age or small size? If so, wait a year or two.
Junior Adventurers Shine on Adventures by Disney
Once your Adventures by Disney vacation has started, your children are likely to make great new friends. Time will fly by while watching Disney movies and sitting in the back of the bus with other Junior Adventurers ! The Adventure Guides often treat the children to special surprises, treats, games, and prizes. At times, the children might have the option of separating from the adults while touring. For example, in Vienna, Junior Adventures visit a spectacular children’s museum inside Schonbrunn Palace which the adults tour. The children often choose to dine together too. They may select any of the menu options, but kid friendly options are always available.
Once you decide that your child is in fact old enough for Adventures by Disney, you can rest assured that your entire family will have an unforgettable journey!