We all know that “Winter’s a good time to stay in and cuddle”, but how can we keep a “happy snowman” in Summer? I took my first summertime trip to Walt Disney World last month. I knew the crowds would be thick, and I knew the sun would be out in full force. I didn’t let any of that stop me from having a completely magical vacation wtih my favorite Mouse! I wanted to share with you 10 of my favorite ways to keep cool at the Happiest Place on Earth, even in the heat of Summer.
- Take advantage of the splash pads and misting areas Disney provides in the parks. Disney has done a wonderful job of adding water features to many of the parks. Splash areas can be found in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom, in Future World and on the World Showcase bridge in Epcot. There is a fun fountain to play in just outside of Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom. Look for these oases on a hot, summer day for a bit of refreshment.
2. Find a nicely air conditioned theater to rest and see a show. My favorites to frequent during the hottest and most crowded times of the day are the American Adventure in Epcot, Frozen Sing-Along in Hollywood Studios, Hall of Presidents and Mickey’s Philharmagic in Magic Kingdom, and Festival of the Lion King in Animal Kingdom. These shows will give your tired feet a break from the walking, and will provide a cooling time for your body temperature.
3. Want to get REALLY WET? Hop on Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom or Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom. These are popular rides in the summer, so be sure to schedule them with your Fastpass+ ahead of time!
4. Indulge in some of Walt Disney World’s best frozen treats. You can grab a Mickey’s Premium bar at an ice cream kiosk at any of the parks. Kaki Gori (similar to shaved ice) is a cool, refreshing treat found in the Japan Pavilion of Epcot. If you and your family are up for a fun food challenge, take on the Kitchen Sink Sundae at Beaches and Cream Restaurant at the Beach Club Resort. And don’t forget to try a Dole Whip in the Magic Kingdom!
5. Invest in cooling towels and misting fans. Even with the best laid plans, you will inevitably end up waiting in line for rides at some point in the day. With not much air circulating, and lots of other warm bodies around you, these handy tools will keep you cool while you wait your turn to board your favorite rides.
6. Leave the poncho behind! Florida is known for its afternoon summer showers. Leave your poncho behind, and let the rain cool you right down.
7. Take a time out, and go back to your Walt Disney Resort to swim in one of the many fabulous pools they have. It seems the parks get the most busy between lunch and dinner time. Take that time to escape to your Disney Resort oasis for some pool time. Many of the moderate and deluxe resorts even have splash areas for the wee ones.
8. Spend a day in the water parks. Disney Imagineers have put so much into the theming at these water parks, and they are loads of FUN! Take a day to explore and splash around at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.
9. Stay hydrated! The sun and all of the walking can take a toll on our bodies. The restaurants on property offer free cups of ice water. Our family loves our filtered water bottles. These can be filled up at any of the water fountains, and provide clean, fresh water for us all day long.
10. Enjoy some of the longer attractions. Some of Walt Disney World’s attractions take more time to enjoy than others. Give yourself time to cool off on Spaceship Earth or Ellen’s Energy Adventure at Epcot. Carousel of Progress or the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in Magic Kingdom will also provide a cool place to rest.
Many folks take summer vacations to Walt Disney World or Disneyland. While temperatures soar, we must do what we can to take care of ourselves and still have a great time. What are your favorite cool down tips? I would love to hear about them in the comments below. For other helpful tips and tricks while planning your Disney vacation, find me on Pinterest.
Please take a moment to sign up for the Magical DIStractions newsletter, like us onFacebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Google+, so you can be kept up-to-date on all the latest news and articles! Our YouTube channel features videos taken by our team and new videos will be added soon. Believe me when I say, you don’t want to miss a single thing!