Perhaps Disney Cruise Line’s most popular port of call, Castaway Cay is a beautiful 1000-acre private island paradise in the Bahamas. You can only visit this island if you are sailing with Disney. White sand beaches, beautiful flora and fauna, clear waters are just part of the attraction of the island. This oasis invites you to enjoy balmy tropical weather and world-class recreation with renowned Disney hospitality. Plus, your signature Disney ship will dock right at the island to allow everyone to come and go as they please while enjoying such tropical leisure as snorkeling, boating, swimming and old-fashioned sunbathing.
Formerly known as Gorda Cay, the island is located amid the Abaco Islands in the northern Bahamas. Of the island’s 1,000 acres, only 55 have been developed for Guest use, leaving the remaining land unspoiled and untamed.
There are open-air BBQ dining areas on the island so you don’t need to rush back to the ship for lunch! The restaurants serve burgers, BBQ chicken and ribs, grilled island style and included in the price of your cruise package. Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase by Guests 21 years of age or older.
Disney Imagineers designed Castaway Cay with one-of-a-kind areas and activities for every member of the family.
Located almost a mile from the main family beach, Serenity Bay is a pristine stretch of beach exclusively for adults. Guests must be 18 or older to enjoy this section of the island. At Serenity Bay, where sparkling azure waters meet the pristine white sand, and palm trees sway in the breeze.
Special amenities and activities offer the ultimate in relaxation for adults:
- Guests can soak up the sun or relax in the shade of an umbrella on comfortable lounge chairs or two-person hammocks that dot the beach.
- Premium private cabanas spoil guests withthe luxury of a deluxe beach resort.
- Adults can enjoy a therapeutic massage at a massage cabana overlooking the ocean or participate in a yoga class on the beach, just steps away from the crystal clear water.
- There is no need to head back to the main beach for refreshment – a delectable lunch buffet, Bahamian specialty drinks, beer and mixed drinks are served at the nearby Castaway Air Bar.
Castaway Family Beach
Have fun together at the Castaway Family Beach. Here you will find a large beach with plenty of umbrellas and lounge chairs.
Popular with kids of all ages, Pelican Plunge is the 2,400-square-foot floating platform, swimming distance from shore. There are two (2) twisting water slides that end in the refreshing lagoon. You can also get soaked by the giant bucket drop that delivers hundreds of gallons of water on those waiting below.
Families can enjoy a day full of fun, including:
- Flying high above the island on a parasail adventure*
- snorkeling in a 12-acre lagoon
- casting off on a fishing tour*
- building sand castles on the beach
- bicycling around the island
Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure:
Swim and interact with Southern Stingrays in a private lagoon. This up-close encounter with the rays is part of a one-hour experience called Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure*, and is open to guests five years of age or older.
For water sport enthusiasts there are water cycles, paddleboats, sea kayaks, sailboats, stand-up paddle boards and snorkel gear for rent. The island features a 12-acre snorkel trail dotted with sunken treasures, including a submarine from the classic Disney attraction 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and a statue of a certain familiar mouse.
Pelican Plunge & Spring-a-Leak:
Located within swimming distance from shore, Pelican Plunge is a 2,400-square-foot floating platform featuring water slides, water cannons and other get-wet fun. On the island, a 2,400-square-foot water play area called Spring-a-Leak helps everyone cool off with fresh-water jets that squirt and spray and saturate guests.
Tube and float Rentals:
Tube and float rentals for splashtacular fun in the swimming lagoon.
Premium private cabanas along the far side of the family beach and are available to rent, providing luxury and giving guests a spectacular view of their Disney cruise ship from the cabana’s front patio deck.
Other recreations & adventures:
In Da Shade Game Pavilion provides guests wanting to take a break out of the sun a place to play games such as table tennis, foosball, billiards and basketball in a shaded structure centrally located near Castaway Family Beach.
- The Watercraft Ski Adventure* gives guests a chance to drive a personal watercraft through intricate mangroves and other natural wonders around the island.
- Nature-lovers rejoice: there are a number of paths to the island’s interior that can be explored either on foot or bicycle. A knowledgeable guide explains the ecological wonders found in the Bahamas during the Castaway Cay Walking and Kayak Nature Adventure*.
runDisney Castaway Cay 5K:
Families can run, jog or walk in the runDisney Castaway Cay 5K, a great way to explore the island and take in the lush tropical landscape while staying fit.
- Throughout the island, guests are treated to a myriad of surprises from Disney characters, including special meet-and-greets, photo opportunities and dance parties.
Relax in a premium 325-square-foot private, furnished cabana found in two (2) separate locations: Castaway Family Beach (for families) and Serenity Bay Beach (for adults). There are a limited number of cabanas, so book as early as possible. For more information about the cabana experience, check out our review, You’re Gonna Wanna Cabana!
Children aged 3-12 have their own paradise planned by Disney counselors at Scuttle’s Cove with bountiful beach activities. Scuttle’s Cove is the “hub” of youth activities for and features a 1,200-square-foot water play area with a soft wet deck and an array of pop jets, geysers and bubblers. It also connects to a Monstro Point, a dig site filled with artificial whale bones. Activities at Scuttle’s Cove include:
- Gotta Get Soaked, a team challenge with water balloons and buckets.
- Water Mania, water play for younger kids.
- Caribbean Beach Party, sand castle challenges and bubble games, offering more games, music and fun for the little ones.
Tweens (ages 11-13) have scheduled time to hang out together, supervised by youth counselors, at In Da Shade Game Pavilion and Pelican Plunge.
Teens (ages 14-17) can kick back, listen to music and participate in activities at Hideout, their own secluded area close to the beach. Teens explore Castaway Cay during The Wild Side* excursion designed just for them. They’ll snorkel, bike and kayak through the island and finish with a hearty lunch.
There are port adventures available on the island as well. Learn more about stingrays, take a deep-sea fishing charter, go para-sailing, or enjoy the ultimate in relaxation – an open-air massage with ocean views. There are also walking trails, or rent a bicycle and explore the island!
- Castaway Cay Bottom Fishing
- Castaway Cay Getaway Package
- Castaway Cay Extreme Getaway Package
- Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure
- Watercraft Ski Adventure – Single Rider
- Watercraft Ski Adventure – Double Rider
- Walking & Kayak Nature Adventure
- Abaco Back Country Fishing Adventure
- Abaco Rigid Hull Snorkeling Adventure (Adults Only)
- Abaco Flats Fly Fishing
- Castaway Cay Fishing by Trollboat
- Castaway Cay Sandbar Excursion
- Wild Side Teen Adventure
- Bicycle Rentals $10.75/hour
- Boat Rentals
- Float & Tube Rentals $10.75/hour
- Glass Bottom Boat Scenic Voyage
- Snorkel Lagoon Equipment Rental
You can also look for that special souvenir, with exclusive Castaway Cay items, at the on-island stores:
She Sells Sea Shells…and Everything Else – Be sure to stock up at this gift shop featuring exclusive Disney Castaway Cay T-shirts, polo shirts, hats, pins, key chains, magnets and towels—and have Disney cruise staff deliver your purchases to the ship.
Buy the Sea Shore – Pick up a variety of Castaway Cay-exclusive items, along with towels, sunscreen and other beach essentials. This new merchandise location is a complement to She Sells Sea Shells & Everything Else.
- Money and Purchases
U.S. currency is accepted at the post office and at Bahamian-operated stores. Please note that effective January 1, 2015 a 7.5% Bahamian Value Added Tax (VAT) will be added to the price of most goods and services purchased on Disney Castaway Cay, including Beach Cabanas and Spa services. Costs incurred on certain components of Port Adventures are also subject to this VAT.
Unique to the island, you can use your stateroom key at Disney-run stores. Island dining is included as part of your cruise package.
- How to Get Around
While all areas of the island can be reached by walking, an island tram offers four stops to help you more quickly and easily get where you want to go. Bike rentals can also be purchased for those who wish to explore the island’s nature trails.
English is the universal language spoken on Disney Castaway Cay.