Welcome to our weekly coverage of Disney History. This week we are highlighting important events that occurred July 11 – July 17 from 1925 through 1993.
- July 11, 1973 – Walt Disney Productions announces it will soon purchase the Disneyland Hotel from Wrather Corporation. The deal eventually fell through and it takes another 15 years before Disney officially takes control of the hotel.
- July 12, 1945 – Jeff Galloway, the official runDisney consultant, is born in Raleigh, North Carolina. Galloway, a member of the 1972 Olympic team, has run every single Disney marathon since its inception in 1994.
- July 13, 1925 – Walt Disney and Lillian Bounds are married in Lewiston, Idaho. Lillian Bounds was a secretary at Walt Disney Studios in Los Angeles.
- July 14, 1975 – The Disney Company announces its plans to build an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT) in Florida.
- July 15, 1975 – Construction begins on Disneyland’s Space Mountain. The attraction officially opens in May 1977.
- July 16, 1993 – Disney’s live-action film Hocus Pocus is released in theaters. The film stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy and Omri Katz.
- July 17, 1955 – Disneyland officially opens to the public in Anaheim, California.
Join us next Monday morning for more Magical DIScoveries.
Don’t miss a single thing! Make sure to follow Magical DIStractions on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+. You can also sign up for our Magical DIStractions newsletter and watch videos on our YouTube channel. We also have a Magical DIStractions Facebook group where you can chat, ask questions, and get help from our knowledsgeable Magical DIStracted staff!