Welcome to our weekly coverage of Disney History. This week we are highlighting important events that occurred July 18 – July 24 from 1950 through 1999.
- July 18, 1955 – Disneyland Park first opens to the general public with tickets for admission priced at $1.00 each!
- July 19, 1950 – Disney film, Treasure Island, is released in the United States and the United Kingdom. The film is based on the novel by Robert Louis Stevenson.
- July 20, 1955 – The Tomorrowland Boats (Phantom Boats) debut in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland Lagoon. This will be the first Disneyland attraction to permanently close due to poor mechanics (1955).
- July 21, 1999 – The first Disney FASTPASS ticket is given at Walt Disney World Resort.
- July 22, 1994 – The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror first opens in Disney’s MGM Studios (now known as Hollywood Studios).
- July 23, 1956 – Disneyland’s Junior Autopia attraction debuts.
- July 24, 1966 – Disneyland’s New Orleans Square area debuts with a ceremony presided by Walt Disney and the Mayor of New Orleans, Victor Schiro.
Join us next Monday morning for more Magical DIScoveries.
Don’t miss a single thing! Make sure to follow Magical DIStractions on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+. You can also sign up for our Magical DIStractions newsletter and watch videos on our YouTube channel. We also have a Magical DIStractions Facebook group where you can chat, ask questions, and get help from our knowledsgeable Magical DIStracted staff!