Welcome to our weekly coverage of Disney History. This week we are highlighting important events that occurred August 1 – August 7, 1933 through 2010.
- August 1, 1997 – Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort opens at the Walt Disney World Resort. The resort is Disney’s first moderately priced convention hotel, featuring a 220,000-square-foot convention center with meeting and exhibit space and one of the largest hotel ballrooms in the southeast.
- August 2, 1998 – Guests aboard Disney Magic’s maiden voyage are the first to set foot on Disney’s private island in the Bahamas, Disney’s Castaway Cay.
- August 3, 1933 – The Mickey Mouse watch is first introduced at the low price of $3.25.
- August 4, 1995 – Disney’s Animal Kingdom park’s ground breaking ceremony is held. The park will open in April of 1998.
- August 5, 2010 – Via Napoli in Epcot’s Italy Pavilion has it’s grand opening. Via Napoli, owned and operated by the Patina Restaurant Group, is home to what many say is the best pizza in Walt Disney World!
- August 6, 1961 – The Flying Saucers attraction opens in Disneyland Park’s Tomorrowland. The attraction remains open for only five (5) years.
- August 7, 1964 – The AstroJets attraction (opened in 1956) in Disneyland Park become known as the Tomorrowland Jets.
Join us next Monday morning for more Magical DIScoveries.
Don’t miss a single thing! Make sure to follow Magical DIStractions on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+. You can also sign up for our Magical DIStractions newsletter and watch videos on our YouTube channel. We also have a Magical DIStractions Facebook group where you can chat, ask questions, and get help from our knowledsgeable Magical DIStracted staff!