Welcome to our weekly coverage of Disney History. This week we are highlighting important events that occurred August 8 – August 14, 1902 through 2014.
- August 8, 1902 – Architect Welton Becket was born in Seattle, Washington. Becket’s architectural firm designed Disney’s Contemporary Resort and Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.
- August 9, 1969 – The Haunted Mansion first opens in Disneyland’s New Orleans Square.
- August 10, 2012 – The Lion King Family Suites open in Disney’s Art of Animation Resort in Walt Disney World.
- August 11, 2014 – The world mourns the loss of Robin Williams. Williams is well known for his role as the Genie in Disney’s Aladdin.
- August 12, 1929 – Walt Disney is granted a trademark for the use of the image of Mickey Mouse in motion pictures.
- August 13, 1942 – Disney’s 5th full length animated feature Bambi premieres at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
- August 14, 1987 – Disney’s Touchstone Pictures releases the film Can’t Buy Me Love starring Patrick Dempsey. (**This was 30 years ago – who is feeling old now?!)
Join us next Monday morning for more Magical DIScoveries.
Don’t miss a single thing! Make sure to follow Magical DIStractions on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+. You can also sign up for our Magical DIStractions newsletter and watch videos on our YouTube channel. We also have a Magical DIStractions Facebook group where you can chat, ask questions, and get help from our knowledsgeable Magical DIStracted staff!