Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside, also referred to as POR, is one of five Walt Disney World Moderate Resorts. The Moderate Resorts are a step up from the Value Resorts in that the resorts themselves are nicer and have more amenities to offer the guests. The average rate per night is approximately $187.67 before tax. The Port Orleans Resort – Riverside has 2,048 guest rooms (512 of them being Royal Guest Rooms) that can comfortably accommodate a family of four with some allowing a fifth guest. Each room is approximately 314 square feet in size.
The Port Orleans Resort – Riverside is located in the Disney Springs Resort area and is adjacent to Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort. See the picture gallery below for pictures of the rooms, resort grounds and more.
Port Orleans Riverside is split into two guest accommodation sections, Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend.
Alligator Bayou has a more rustic feel with dense foliage, small pools, streams and pretty bridges. There are sixteen two-story buildings in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort with each building having sixty-four rooms. There are no elevators in any of the Alligator Bayou buildings. If you have five in your travel party, you will be assigned a room in one of the sixteen Alligator Bayou buildings.
Magnolia Bend feels more formal with manicured gardens, fountains and courtyards. There are four plantation style buildings in the Magnolia Bend section of the resort with each building having two hundred fifty-six rooms. The four buildings have Southern style names: Acadian House, Magnolia Terrance, Oak Manor and Parterre Place. The royal rooms are housed in the Oak Manor and Parterre Place buildings. The mansions are three stories in the “main building” sections and two stories in the “outlying” sections. All buildings in Magnolia Bend have elevators near the main entrance.
Guests can dine on Delta style delicacies, swim in the 3 1/2 acre old-fashioned swimming hole and enjoy the Southern atmosphere of Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside!
Guests will check in within Sassagoula Steamboat Company, the main building, which houses the main lobby, front desk, concierge services, shop, arcade, restaurants and bar. Just outside of Sassagoula Steamboat Company are the main bus stop, ferry dock and bicycle rentals.
(Registration area – Picture by Christen Francis)
(Backside of Sassagoula Steamboat Company – Picture by Christen Francis)
Should you need assistance with your luggage either during the check-in or check-out process, Bell Services will be more than happy to assist you. Simply stop by their desk or call them from your room telephone.
Medicine Show Arcade is also located in the Sassagoula Steamboat Company main building and has pinball machine and other type arcade games for both young and old to enjoy.
Fulton’s General Store sells both Disney related and non-Disney themed items and also stocks an assortment of snacks, drinks and assorted sundries.
(Fulton’s General Store – Picture by Christen Francis)
Guests staying at Port Orleans Riverside can enjoy the amenities offered at Port Orleans French Quarter, and vice versa. As can be seen in the map below, the two resorts are closely situated and are just a leisurely stroll from one another.
Port Orleans Resort – Riverside Room Options
There are multiple room category options, standard, garden view, king bed, preferred location, pool view and river view plus the royal rooms also have bookable standard view, garden view, pool and river views.
- Standard View. These rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen size beds. The rooms that sleep five feature 2 queen size beds and one bunk size pull down bed. Almost all standard view rooms face the parking lots.
- Garden View. These rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen-size beds. The rooms that sleep five feature 2 queen size beds and 1 bunk size pull down bed. Garden view rooms offer views of the gardens and courtyards.
- Pool View. These rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen-size beds. The rooms that sleep five feature 2 queen size beds and 1 bunk size pull down bed. Pool view rooms offer a view of one of the five quiet pools.
- River View. These rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen-size beds. The rooms that sleep five feature 2 queen size beds and 1 bunk size pull down bed. River view rooms offer a view of Sassagoula River.
Other Room Categories:
- King Bed. These rooms contain just one king-size bed instead of two queens. The rooms can be located anywhere in the resort with the exception of Oak Manor and Parterre Place. Some king bed rooms offer pool or river views or are located in the preferred buildings. If you need a king bed, you need to book the king bed category.
- Preferred Room. These rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen-size beds. The rooms that sleep five feature 2 queen size beds and 1 bunk size pull down bed. Preferred rooms guarantees you a room fairly close to the main building and bus stop, located only in Alligator Bayou buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27.
- Royal Guest Rooms. These royal rooms will sleep up to four and feature 2 queen-size beds. The royal rooms are located in Oak Manor and Parterre Place buildings only. There are no king bed royal rooms and none of the royal rooms have a pull down bed. The views are like those described above. In the Royal Guest Rooms, you will find regal touches left behind by some of your favorite Disney characters – fiber optics special effects above ornately decorated beds, gold and crystal accents, custom linens and drapes, and in-room art and details including Princely banners and Princess friends.
- Handicapped Accessible Rooms. These rooms are available for those with wheelchairs, as well as those needing TTY equipment. The TTY equipment is available upon request at check-in. Service animals are welcome.
Adjoining rooms are available throughout the resort and can be requested. Please keep in mind that adjoining rooms are a request only but Disney will try to accommodate those requests especially if your family consists of more children than adults. See the picture gallery below for pictures.
Port Orleans Riverside Resort Room Amenities
- Alarm Clock
- Beverage Cooler
- Ceiling Fan
- Coffee Maker & Setup
- Hair Dryer
- In-Room Safe
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Table & Chairs
- Vanity Area
- Voice Mail
- Wireless Internet
- Special Headboards Create a “Fireworks” Display (Royal Guest Rooms only)
Upon Request (subject to availability)
- Bed Boards/Rails
- Crib: Pack ‘N Play
- International Electrical Adapter
- Rollaway Bed ($15/night)
Port Orleans Riverside Resort Dining Options
Riverside Mill Food Court, is the resort’s counter service restaurant. In Riverside Mill Food Court, guests will find quick service dining options such as a bakery, pizza, pastas, salads, a carving station, and much more! The muffulletta flatbreads and Cajun chicken sandwiches are just two of the Delta style food options to choose from.
Boatwright’s Dining Hall, is Riverside’s table service restaurant. Guests can dine on authentic Cajun cooking such as gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish, bananas foster, and more. (5:00 – 10:00 pm)
River Roost Lounge serves a variety of specialty drinks, plus light snacks. (4:00pm – 12:00 am). Yeehaw Bob provides great sing-along musical entertainment Wednesday through Saturday starting at 8:30 p.m.
Muddy Rivers pool bar serves a variety of specialty drinks, plus light snacks. (11:30 am – 6:00 pm).
In-room dining is offered from 4:00-11:30 pm with a limited menu.
The Disney Dining Plan is accepted at Port Orleans Riverside.
**All hours are subject to change
Port Orleans Riverside Resort Amenities
- 6 Pools (3 Alligator Bayou, 2 Magnolia Bend) and the Feature Pool: Ol’ Man Island
- Child pool
- Whirlpool spa
- Children’s playground
- Pirate Adventure Cruise
- Jogging trail
- Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides
- Bike & Surrey Bike Rentals
Ol’ Man Island, the resort’s main pool is themed after an old swimming hole and is centrally located between bayou and mansion sections of the resort. Guests will squeal with delight when they go down the 95 foot slide into the refreshing water. The hot tub and kiddie pool are also located on Ol’ Man Island.
(Ol’ Man Island – Picture by Christen Francis)
(Playground – Picture by Christen Francis)
Daily activities, weather permitted, are held at the main pool and both kids and adults are encouraged to participate. Weather permitting, nightly marshmallow roasts take place on Ol’ Man Island. Roasting sticks and marshmallows are provided free of charge. In the evenings, an outdoor movie is shown in the courtyard in front of Oak Manor. As with the daily activities and marshmallow roasts, the movies are shown only if the weather permits.
Bicycle and Surrey Bike Rentals:
At the marina area, located just behind the main lobby, guests can rent bicycles and surrey bikes. On Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday mornings, children aged 4-12 can experience the Bayou Pirate Adventure, a supervised riverboat excursion in search of hidden treasure. Cost is $34 plus tax per child, including a snack lunch.
Horse-drawn carriage rides are offered in the evenings (weather permitting) from 6pm to 9:30pm. Cost is $45 per 25-minute ride for up to four adults (or two adults and three small children). You can make reservations at the Riverside marina, or in advance via (407) WDW PLAY.
Laundry facilities are located near each quiet pool and cost $2 to wash and $2 to dry.
**Prices and hours are subject to change
- Disney Resort Benefits
- Fulton’s General Store featuring a wide variety of merchandise and sundries (8:00 am – 11:00 pm).
- Dry cleaning and laundry service
- Ferry Boat to and from Downtown Disney.
Resort Transportation Options
Bus service to all four theme parks, water parks and Disney Springs (formerly known as Downtown Disney) runs one hour prior to park opening and one hour after park closing. Buses are scheduled to run every twenty minutes. That’s the official word from Disney; however, guests may notice that they run earlier, later and more frequently than the official time.
There are four bus stops at Port Orleans Riverside, one located outside of Sassagoula Steamboat Company which is the South Depot, and one at the West Depot, North Depot and East Depot. The buses take different routes around the resort so sometimes the South Depot is the first stop and sometimes the West Depot is the first stop. At times, the buses at Port Orleans Riverside share with Port Orleans French Quarter. If that is the case, the buses normally stop at French Quarter first when picking up and dropping off.
(Bus stop at Sassagoula Steamboat Company – Picture by Christen Francis)
If you want to go to Disney Springs, boat service is available between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. The resort boat launch is located on the back side of Sassagoula Steamboat Company. In the case of inclement weather, boats will not be running and you will need to take a bus to and from the resort. **Hours are subject to change.
(Picture by Christen Francis)
Additional Resort Information
Check In/Check Out
3:00 PM / 11:00 AM
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
1251 Riverside Drive
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830-8514
Resort Reviews & Articles about the resort
Christen F., posted a resort review/article in February, 2014, detailing her stay at Port Orleans Riverside. You can read her review by clicking here: Dixie Dreams….Port Orleans Riverside by Christen Francis
Flavors of N’Awlins at Boatwright’s Dining Hall was written by Jennifer C. on May 21, 2015.
Moderate Resorts with Amazing Amenities was written by Kelly Melody and was published on January 26, 2016.