When you think of Walt Disney World you probably think of families with small children. NO, Disney is for all ages from newborn to gently aged adults. There is no age on the magic that Disney brings. When bringing a teenager to Walt Disney World there are some must do’s and we must also remember being a teenager is tough. Teenagers are stuck between children and adults, so they need the middle Disney magic.
1. Give your teenager space/freedom, but not too much. If you are allowing your teen to go off on their own make sure they will meet with the family to catch up on the day’s events. Maybe some time in one of the great arcades that the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels have to offer. DisneyQuest in Downtown Disney is a great place for teens. An early morning or late night swim after the parks by themselves. Time at the resort to walk around. Have cell phone check-in’s at a time determined by both to see what they are up too and in case of emergencies. ( Make sure you bring an extra cell phone battery and/or charger, we know how much they use their phones. No phone to a teen = unhappy teens). DIStracted Tip: Guests can now charge their cell phones in charging stations located in the Magic Kingdom.
2. Let them decide on a specific day’s events. What park to attend that day, what place to eat at, what rides to ride first. Even give them a park to take pictures for the family scrap book. This will give them adult status and some responsibility and still be able to have them with you as a family.
3. Make sure you adapt to their style. If you have a thrill seeker make sure you hit the rides at each park such as:
- In Magic Kingdom:
- Astro Orbiter
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Haunted Mansion
- Pirate’s of the Caribbean
- Splash Mountain
- Stitch’s Great Escape
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Space Mountain
- In Epcot:
- Mission Space
- Test Track Presented by Chevrolet
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Star Tours – The Adventure Continues
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- In Animal Kingdom:
- Expedition Everest- Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
- Kali River Rapids
- Primeval Whirl
If you have a Sports Fan:
- Head over to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Eat at the ESPN Club at Disney’s Boardwalk.
- Walk around Disney’s All Star Sport’s Resort
- Fans of auto racing can experience thrilling speeds first-hand from the inside of a NASCAR style stock car. If you are over 14 years old, you can ride shotgun on a three-lap trip around the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Play a round of Golf
- Enjoy the water sports that Many Disney hotels have to offer
If you have a Shopper:
If you have a Gamer:
- Visit DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive at Downtown Disney
If you have a funny prankster teen (Like I do):
- Take random pictures wearing different hats all over Disney. It not only makes them laugh but makes for great memories.
There is something for everyone in Walt Disney World, even teenagers! There is still a lot of Disney magic to be had at their age. Most of all enjoy your time with your teen, they are only a teenager once! Have a magical time and spread some pixie dust on your teen during your next trip to Walt Disney World.